Lord Mayor Graham Quirk has today congratulated the winners of the Brisbane 4KQ Christmas light competition, who were recognised for their efforts at a special presentation.
Cr Quirk said many Brisbane residents had been making their streets vibrant with Christmas lights for many years, adding to the strong sense of community over the festive season.
“More than two-thousand people boarded Council buses in December to tour the winning homes spread across the city’s suburbs and enjoy the fantastic colourful displays created by residents,” Cr Quirk said.
“The 4KQ Christmas Lights competition is one of the biggest and best Christmas light displays in Australia and has been a popular part of the festive season for the past 30 years.
“Council’s Christmas lights bus tours provide passengers with a fantastic opportunity to soak up the city’s festive atmosphere in our modern, comfortable and universally accessible buses.
“We have operated the popular bus tours since 1992 to ensure people can enjoy the city’s best suburban festive lighting without having to navigate their vehicles around various neighbourhoods in their quest to find the best-lit homes.
“I would like to congratulate the competition winners and all Brisbane residents who went to such impressive efforts to light up their homes over the festive season, many of whom expand their creative displays every year.”
4KQ Brisbane LGA Competition Winners:
• Best East Winner: Darryl and Sandra Watson, Carina
• Best East Runner Up: Kevin McGregor, Holland Park
• Best West Winner: Shane and Debbie Horswill Jindalee
• Best West Runner Up: Evan and Myfanwy Jones, Bellbowrie
• Best Neighbourhood Winner: Hawk Place Heralders, Sinnamon Park
• Best Neighbourhood Runner Up: Lights on Melrose, Carindale
• Best Synchronised Lights and Music Display Winner: Sugarloaf Street, Wavell Heights
• Best Church or Community Group: Sandgate Uniting Church, Deagon
Nine Brisbane homes also received commendations for their lighting displays:
• St Gerard Majella Catholic Church, Chermside West
• The Dornhart’s Musical Wonderland, Middle Park
• Klicin Family, Shailer Park
• The Wilkinson’s, Carindale
• The Glen Hotel, Eight Mile Plains
• Oakley Street Oracles, Carindale
• I&D Young, Upper Mt Gravatt
• Grandma’s Christmas Garden. Banyo
• Sunil Avvaru, Sinnamon Park
For more information visit www.brisbane.qld.gov.au or call Council on (07) 3403 8888.